Friday, August 12, 2011

in memoriam


On Saturday, August 6th, we lost a fellow volunteer and great friend, Becky Schaffer.  While we were all swimming at a local waterfall, she lost her footing on a slippery section of rocks and fell off of a ledge.  This tragedy has deeply affected us all and we mourn the loss of such an inspiring individual.  Although we only knew Becky for three weeks, it was clear that she had a truly selfless spirit and drive to improve the world in which we all live.  Becky has volunteered extensively throughout Africa during college and was making plans to join the Peace Corps after her year in Pohnpei with WorldTeach.  Although we will never be able to see the wonderful things that she had planned for the future, her generous and compassionate character will be our inspiration as we strive to keep her legacy intact.  This past week has been a trying time for all of us but I cannot even begin to imagine what Becky’s family in Maine must be experiencing.  They should be proud to have raised such a remarkable young woman and I feel terrible that Becky was taken away from them.  Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as they move through this difficult time.  Likewise, Becky’s host mom, Clara, loved her like a daughter and has held memorial services for her every night since she passed.  She will hold the last memorial service on Saturday night before Becky finally makes her way home to her family on Sunday.  Becky will be forever remembered.

3 comments:

  1. This is awful, I'm sorry Scott. I'm thinking of you!

    -B. Reiser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Scott,
    What a touching tribute to Becky. I was lucky enough to meet Becky when she was a student for 2 years in elementary school. We would go on and become friends and her parents became friends as well. Thank you for the touching words about Becky and her family. I know it means a lot to them to her from someone that was with her. How odd things seem to be that you would be with her and that you both had a connection to Yarmouth. By the way I also was your cousin, Julie's teacher! May you and all that knew Becky continue your good work in Pohpei. It is important work.

    Nancy March

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,

    It is indeed a small world! My parents were telling me about it all and I couldn't believe my ears. It really is incredible the connections that we have all had to Becky and each other. I do hope that Becky's parents were comforted a little bit by that; please let them know that they are still in my thoughts. I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to your message, but thank you for sending one! It is wonderful to hear from you, and if you would like to stay in touch, please send me an email! (scoperk11@gmail.com)

    With warm regards,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete