Monday, October 3, 2011

as if we couldn't get any whiter

Usually, writers like to start out with a “punch” to grab the reader’s attention and make them want to keep reading.  Instead, I’m going to start out by recommending that you check out Gabrielle’s blog at http://kosraeanadventures.blogspot.com because hers will be much more enjoyable to read.  She has a way more complete recap of this week and her pictures are also way better.  Besides, there are even some pictures of me up there so if it’s me you’re really interested in, you still won’t be disappointed!

With that said, I’m going to continue by talking about Gabrielle!  How backwards has this blog become??  I’ve been constantly bragging about her because she has gotten so “local” recently.  We’ve been going to a Protestant Church called Pohnalamwahu (roughly translated as “on a path to goodness”) Church and we’ve had the opportunity to become really close with the rest of the congregation.  On a side note, we go to church at least twice a week here and it’s become one of my favorite things to do.  Whether it’s cluelessly belting out Pohnpeian hymns, talking politics after the service over a cup of coffee, or receiving mountains of food that would make Jabba the Hut feel jealous, it’s the best part of the week.  Anyways, Gabrielle has been doing some serious bonding with the church ladies and has recently started dancing with them after the services.  Unbeknownst to Gabrielle, they were rehearsing for an island-wide dance group performance/competition/future MTV show (“America’s Best Pohnpeian Dance Crew Featuring One White Girl”).  When they saw that Gabrielle had the moves, they didn’t hesitate to ask her to join them in the upcoming performance on Saturday.  From there on out, she participated in all the rehearsals, was given a white mumu, white mwaramwar, and white flower to put in her hair.  

The procession towards the church in Madolenihmw.  Each municipality has its own color for events such as these - Kitti's color is white.
 When the day of the performance came, she got all dressed up and I almost couldn’t tell her apart from the rest of the women!  Up until this point, I had not seen the dance yet and I was expecting to see a riotous explosion of choreography and singing – after all, they had spent days rehearsing for hours on end.  What I saw was a slow moving, rhythmic, and flowing dance that was no less impressive.  Fulfilling my obligation as dutiful husband, I took so many pictures and videos that I filled up my memory card and had to go back and delete the bad pictures in order to make more room.  The next time I have four hours to kill (ha!), I will upload a video; but until then, the pictures will have to do! 

The church in Madolenihmw where all the church groups congregated on this warm Saturday morning.
Gabrielle and the other women slowly making their way up to the front of the church to perform for the other church groups.
As for my own rapport with the community, I am trying to keep up with Gabrielle who has clearly taken the lead in this invented competition of mine.  So far, she takes the cake with the older women, but I am winning with the 5 year old boys who constantly want to see my muscles.  My secret weapon is throwing out handshakes that were cool 10 years ago - apparently, the high-five never really reached Pohnpei.  When I started doing the good ol’ dikido limau (high-five), the wonder on their faces was as if I had taught them how to make fire.  And, like fire, it caught on with the entire elementary school.  I have kids I’ve never even met before lining up in front of my classroom to get their chance to give me some kind of 90’s greeting.  My favorite is the one where you make a fist and give a sort of punch to another person’s fist.  They went crazy when I did the exploding version where you fling your fingers open right when you make contact.  Although I am apparently the coolest 5 year old around, it gets frustrating to be unable to communicate with any of them.  For this reason -and also for the hell of it - I have begun a new concerted effort to become fluent in Pohnpeian.  I know enough to get by, but this is such an easy language to learn I almost have no excuse.  Like they say though, I am learning akisakis, or little by little.  We shall see how that endeavor pans out!  Maybe after this year, I won’t be so menwai after all.

Me and one of my favorite buddies at the neighboring elementary school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment