Wednesday, November 2, 2011

a slippery situation

You would think that in my abundance of free time in the past week, I would have been able to write a decent blog entry.  Perhaps it was an issue with a lack of will rather than a lack of time.  Two weeks ago, on the first day of a four day weekend, I managed to completely de-skin the balls of my feet during an entirely innocent relay race.  Since I am a determined competitor and also a useless one while wearing flip-flops, I decided to go barefoot on the hot track where the race was being held.  I sprinted off the starting line alongside my coworkers and fellow competitors, got to the first cone, went to turn around, and slipped out of my skin.  Unknowingly, I finished the race before I looked down and noticed the shredded tires I was rolling on.  Although I have had many people very unhelpfully tell me, “Ya know, you should wear shoes when you run,” I think it was a pretty innocent mistake.  Plenty of other people were running barefoot at the race and the same thing even happened to a local lady – albeit, to a lesser extent – even though Pohnpeian feet are reportedly indestructible.

As someone who wants to eventually practice medicine in a developing country, the following experience was enlightening.  I got rushed to the ER by none less than the Director of Secondary Education himself while he swerved past traffic and tested the endurance of his car horn.  In order to avoid potential amputation at the state-run hospital, we went to the private hospital and I experienced what I imagine to be a similar sort of pain.  Without introduction, a doctor with an unconvincing toupee proceeded to clean my feet, cut the flaps of skin off, disinfect my wounds, and dress them.  Needless to say, the hospital bed was soaked with sweat and my voice hoarse from screaming into the pillow.  My only regret is that we didn’t record some of it to play outside for trick-or-treaters on Halloween.  After a mere twenty minutes, I was dispatched from the hospital with antibiotics, pain-relievers the equivalent of ibuprofen, and no way to move myself around except my hands and knees.  Luckily, after some asking around, I was able to procure a wheelchair and some higher-quality pain-killers in order to make the next week a little more bearable. 

To say that having to wheel myself around Pohnpei was inconvenient would be an understatement.  Likewise, I imagine that it was not fun for Gabrielle and Kate who provided for almost every one of my basic needs while I was in town.  And then afterwards at home, when it was just Gabrielle - cooking dinner, washing dishes, washing my clothes (by hand), and going to school by herself while I sat at home and did fun things like read books and watch movies.  I can’t describe how much I owe to her, but I am determined to make it up to her in some way or another now that I can finally walk again.  I’ve also gained a new perspective on what it is like to be disabled, helpless, and useless and it was definitely a humbling experience in all of those regards.  Sitting in a wheelchair is no way to be forced to go through life and I will always empathize with people in that situation.

This was my first week back at school and everyone has been incredibly helpful and considerate.  I’m pretty much back to normal now, but I appreciate the concern everyone has shown – you guys are the best!  I am certainly looking forward to making up for lost time this weekend though.  The wife and I have a trip planned for Saturday where we will hopefully kayak from Nahlap Island to Black Coral Island nearby.  Don’t google those places unless you want to feel an overwhelming urge to come visit me J  Be safe in the snow!!

At Cupid's Restaurant for Emily's birthday dinner the night of the accident.  I learned that drunk people think it is funny to push you around if you're in a wheelchair.

Me with some neighborhood kids who came to visit.  I was able to go outside because it didn't rain that day, but I sure would have liked to have a pair of off-road wheels.

My new skin about a week and a half afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment