Wednesday, July 13, 2011

sleepless in los angeles

Today was filled with relentless traveling although I am happy to say that I have finally arrived in Los Angeles!  After an hour layover in Dallas – where, to the confirmation of my stereotypes, I saw a genuine cowboy getting his boots shined – I completed the six hours of flight time from Connecticut to California.  I shouldn’t forget to mention that my worries of not being able to fall asleep on the plane vanished quickly when I saw that American Airlines had chosen Jane Eyre as the in-flight entertainment.  Once I got myself situated at the hotel, I decided to take public transportation up the coast to Santa Monica.  It was everything you would expect out of a California beach – beautiful blue ocean, rollerbladers on the sidewalk, palm trees, mountains in the distance, and a majestic smog tying it all together.  Even the peddlers were better than average.  One of them spotted immediately that I was from out of town; when I told him I was from Connecticut, he asked “Hartford or New Haven?”  I was impressed, “Hartford.”  He says, “ohhh nice, how’s Manchester?”  Kind of creepy.  I gave him two bucks anyway.  


Anyways, the REAL news is that I have finally gotten my teaching and living assignment for the next year of my life!  Although things are far from set in stone, I will be teaching math and science (could this be any more vague?) to juniors and seniors in high school.  What is more certain is that I will be living in a division of Pohnpei called Kitti (pronounced Kit-chi) in the town of Kipar

According to last year’s volunteers, my housing will consist of a thatched roof two story apartment with mosquito netting and lattice work for walls.  The letter that was given to me stated that this was “great for ventilation” but also guaranteed that I would have some friendly neighborhood visitors such as “frogs, lizards, HUGE spiders [as if writing the word “huge” didn’t get the point across, they put it in all caps….thanks for the warning], rats, and the occasional stray cat.” I think it is safe to assume that my access to the internet will be much more limited than initially expected.  

Despite the inconveniences that may arise due to these characteristics, I think that the experience will be that much more educational for me.  I’m looking forward to adapting to these challenges and really learning something about Pohnpei and about myself.  All sappiness aside, I really am excited (albeit anxious) about what is in store.  Next time you hear from me I will be 8000 miles away - finally in Pohnpei!  Hopefully with lots of great pictures J

2 comments:

  1. my new daily activity: reading the scoot magoot perkins blog whilst drinking a glass of wine. i already LOL'ed at your Jane Eyre comment. LOVE YOU SCOOTER and have a blast with the HUGE spiders and your thatching! <3 <3 you'll be great you sap

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha miss you jb, i just visited my house today and indeed the spiders are enormous! too bad you couldn't be my roomieee ;) as soon as things slow down here ill mail you a great postcard!

    ReplyDelete